Experienced Fort Worth Attorney Represents Victims of Uber and Lyft Accidents
Texas personal injury law firm works to hold negligent rideshare drivers accountable
Ridesharing services are convenient for traveling in and around Fort Worth. However, along with the increasing use of Uber and Lyft comes an increase in dangerous accidents involving these vehicles. At the Law Offices of J. Kent McAfee, P.C., our firm stands up for the interests of Texans who have been injured in Uber and Lyft accidents caused by careless drivers. With nearly four decades of experience advocating for injury victims, you can rely on us to pursue justice vigorously your behalf.
Common causes of Uber/Lyft accidents in the DFW Metroplex
Some common causes of Uber/Lyft accidents include the following:
- Distracted driving — Distracted driving is one of the main causes of car accidents among all types of motorists. For Uber and Lyft drivers, the risk of distracted driving crashes can increase because they must use phone apps to accept rides and navigate directions while operating their vehicles.
- Fatigued driving — Many drivers have full-time jobs and use their rideshare gig as a way to earn extra money. Others may drive for more than one rideshare company and spend many hours on the road. In both cases, fatigue can result, which slows brain function, reflexes and the ability to react quickly behind the wheel.
- Drunk driving — Responsible people call for Uber and Lyft rides when they have been drinking. Unfortunately, sometimes the drivers for these companies engage in drunk driving or get behind the wheel while under the influence of prescription or illicit drugs.
- Reckless driving — Speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating, aggressive driving and making unsafe lane changes can cause serious accidents. Uber and Lyft drivers may drive recklessly as they hurry to accept as many riders as possible.
If your injury accident was caused by a distracted driver working for Uber or Lyft or a rideshare contractor who was careless in a different way, our attorney will advise you about filing a legal claim for damages.
Liability in an Uber/Lyft accident
Every accident is unique, and there are many factors involved in determining liability, including the following:
- The number of vehicles involved in the crash
- What the rideshare driver was doing when the accident happened
- The type of accident, such as a rear-end or left-turn crash, and the type and extent of injuries involved
Attorney J. Kent McAfee will scrutinize all of the factors and evidence in your accident to determine who is at fault and work to hold the responsible party accountable.
Insurance claims in Uber/Lyft accidents
Generally speaking, if you are a passenger in a rideshare vehicle and the driver caused the crash, insurance coverage obtained by the driver and/or the rideshare company would likely be responsible for paying your claim. If another driver caused the rideshare vehicle to crash, you would typically file a claim with that driver’s insurer. But what if you are driving your own car and are in an accident caused by an Uber or Lyft driver? Drivers are only covered by the rideshare company’s insurance when they are transporting passengers or using the rideshare app. If these conditions are not present, then your only recourse may be filing a claim against the driver’s personal insurance. We understand how to determine insurance responsibility and will carefully examine all the intricacies involved in your accident to help you pursue a fair insurance settlement.
Get help from a Fort Worth lawyer when you have been in an Uber or Lyft accident
At the Law Offices of J. Kent McAfee, P.C., in Fort Worth, we advocate for Texas clients who have been injured in accidents involving Uber and Lyft rideshare vehicles. To schedule a free consultation, call our firm at 817-332-7676 or contact us online.